My Marketing Philosophy
I believe that behind every brand is a great idea. A passion, a need to bring something into the world that wasn’t there before.
I also believe that marketing is supposed to be fun.
To me, marketing is a way to showcase a brand, to change perceptions, to motivate, to engage, to WOW. Too often we get lost in the course of our day-to-day business activities and stresses that we forget our raison d’etre. We forget why we were so excited to create or work for a company in the first place. I want to change all that. I want to help you bring the life back into your organization.
Do you know the Genie in Aladdin? I guess I am hoping that’s what you can come to think of me as.
My goal with every single project—big or small—is to apply a research-based, 360-degree approach to marketing. That means it all starts with strategic thinking and goal setting, and goes all the way down through the execution of our plan, to the measurement and adjustments based off what we learned. Too many times I have seen clients left with great ideas…and no clue how to get them done. Or, the opposite- all of the execution without any sort of integrated strategy to back it. I remix it all for you under one roof, always keeping your goals and priorities in mind. Your success is my success. It’s the very definition of a win-win situation.
That being said, there’s no formal method to marketing. There’s what works for you. But I do have a few tricks up my sleeve. I come to the table with a boatload of experience that helps me determine which of those I need to pull out for your brand. And then, I apply a little magic I like to call: marketing science.
First, I identify the problem. Each brand is different, and your issues are unique to you. Whether you’re trying to enter a new market or testing out a social media strategy to drive sales, you want someone with the know-how to get you results. That’s why I tailor my process to your goals. Here’s a breakdown:
- Create SMART goals: What is your desired outcome of the project and how are we going to measure it?
- Define the key brand elements and stakeholders: These will be our assets throughout the process. They’ll help keep us on the right path and ensure a successful outcome.
- Conduct research: Surveys and focus groups are great, but marketing research is so much more. Sometimes, it’s as simple as having conversations with the key members of management, customers, or conducting competitive research. (Interested in this? Learn more about my research services.)
- Formulate a strategy: I build out a comprehensive strategy for your brand that is based in research and primary information from you and your team. (Check out my strategy services for more in-depth information)
- Create and execute a marketing plan: You’ve got your strategy, and now, it’s time to communicate that to your target audience. The marketing plan is our playbook, so to speak. I utilize the 7 Ps: product, price, place, promotion, people, processes, and physical evidence. Then I toss in tactical recommendations, budgets and timelines to get us on the path to implementation.
- Measure and track progress against your goals: This is the moment of truth. This is where we gather data and start measuring results against our SMART goals. A good plan is nothing without measurement and tracking. If you want more information about goal setting check out my workbook.
- Adjust and advance: Here’s the kick in the pants: no great marketing strategy works forever. That’s why you want a partner that’s always adjusting. Hi, I’m Sunny.